This market concerns call termination on fixed telephony networks. Call termination consists in terminating on the network of an operator calls made by customers of other operators.
Applicable regulatory framework
In its decision of 20 November 2018, BIPT notes that Proximus and several other operators still hold dominant positions on the fixed call termination market and, as a consequence, imposes on them a series of obligations to fulfil.
This decision is supplemented by the following decision and communication:
- Decision of 1 September 2020 on the reference offer of Proximus regarding IP interconnection (PRIO)
- Communication of 1 September 2020 on IP interconnection with mobile operators
- Communication of the 27 april 2021 on the setting by the European Commission of maximum FTR and MTR Eurorates
- Pre-consultation regarding the end of the validity of the BRIO and BMRIO reference offers
- Communication of 13 December 2022 on the negotiation of interconnection agreements
Market analyses of 2006 and 2012
In both cases, Belgacom (now named Proximus) and several other operators were designated as having significant market power and were imposed a series of obligations to fulfil.
Before the implementation of the market analyses system, the regulatory framework for call origination was mainly set via the decisions and opinions below on the BRIO interconnection offer of Belgacom.