Radio interference can disrupt and render impossible the proper operation of transmitters and/or receivers. The BIPT's NCS service (the National Spectrum Monitoring Department) is responsible for "policing the radio waves" in the broad sense of the word.

For what kind of interference can I contact the NCS ?

  • interference disrupting the radio communications of companies, police services, emergency services, radio amateurs, CB enthusiasts, remote controls of scale models...
  • interference on maritime and aviation radio communications;
  • all types of interference experienced in radio equipment (baby alarm, remote control of garage door, ...) ;
  • to examine the cause of interference in the reception of radio and TV broadcasts, generally upon request of the competent Community. 

What about telephone interferences ?

Interference occurring in telephones should first be reported to your telephone operator. In case of external radiation coming from an authorised broadcasting station the operator can install a filter in the equipment to eliminate the interference. 

How can I report a case of interference ?

Cases of interference can be reported by post, telephone, fax or e-mail.

Ellipse Building C
Boulevard du Roi Albert II 35 box 1
1030 Brussels

E-mail (FR) or E-Mail (NL)

Tel : +32 2 226 88 00
Fax : +32 2 226 88 02

It is also possible to use the report form.

I am experiencing interference when listening to the radio or watching television or I am suffering from interference caused by a local or regional radio or television broadcaster. Can I appeal to BIPT?

Radio and television broadcasting falls within the brief of the Communities. 

Complaints regarding interference caused by national, regional and local private broadcasters, otherwise known as the “FM” radio broadcasting stations and television stations, may be transmitted to the community regulator.

The Communities may however ask BIPT to carry out technical checks.

  • The mission of the Vlaamse Regulator voor de Media (VRM) is to ensure the observance of the regulation on media within the Flemish community, to settle disputes related to the regulation on media and to deliver media acknowledgments and licences in accordance with regulation.
  • For the German-speaking Community, the Medienrat acts as the regulator of the audiovisual sector.
  • The Conseil Supérieur de l’Audiovisuel (CSA - High Council for Broadcasting) is the independent administrative authority responsible for the regulation of the audiovisual sector in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. 

Organisation of the NCS

Management and the administrative departments are housed at BIPT headquarters in the Ellipse Building C, Boulevard du Roi Albert II 35 Box 35, 1030 Brussels.

Inspections in the field are conducted by five technical centres, spread across the country. Those centres are located in Liège, Anderlecht, Ghent and Antwerp. NCS employs a total of 50 highly specialised technicians. All departments are outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment.

In order to be able to take measures immediately when the radio legislation is broken, the NCS technicians have the power of a CID officer. Their powers are laid down in the Act of 17 January 2003 on the status of BIPT.

Back to top